Chlorine and fluoride are two common drinking water problems simply because these chemicals are intentionally added to water at treatment plants to kill germs in the water before it’s distributed to homes. Because chlorine smell is very unpleasant, most people buy a home water treatment to remove the chemical.
Other disinfection byproducts like chloramines are also harmful chemicals that may be present in drinking water. The good news is there are water filter systems and showerhead filters you can buy to reduce these potentially harmful chemicals in your water to a safe and healthy level.
Some consider fluoridation a bad idea regardless of what studies show that it is good for teeth development. The other good news is there are fluoride water filter systems you can buy to reduce the chemical to a safe and healthy level.
How much chlorine or fluoride do I have in my water?
You can buy a simple home test kits to determine the concentrations of these two chemicals in your water. Buy one of these all-in-one kits that contains water test kits.
Possible problems associated with chlorine in water and air
- Chlorine is an inorganic substance that chemically bonds to the protein in our hair and skin, destroying its natural ecological balance.
- It can leave your hair dry and brittle and make your skin flaky and itchy.
- Its presence in the air can also trigger negative reactions in children, the elderly, and people with sensitivity chlorination byproducts.
- It can escape into the air within your piping system affecting the air quality in the house.
Drinking water and showerhead filters for chlorine treatment
- Studies have shown that for health reasons it is best to reduce the chemical in drinking and showering water. A whole-house water filter can prevent it from escaping into the air in your house. According to EPA, “By filtering all the water that enters your home, you not only greatly enhance the quality of your household water, but you also dramatically improve your indoor air quality.”
Choose a dependable filtration device . . .
- Multi-Pure water filters are capable of reducing chloramines. he Multi-Pure MP750 Plus RO is the only device certified under NSF/ANSI Standards 42, 53, and 58 to reduce: Nitrates/Nitrate, Arsenic V, Chloramine, PCBs, Toxaphene, Chlordane, Lead, Mercury, and more.
Problems that may be associated with fluoride in water
- There is an ongoing debate about whether or not fluoride in water is healthy. You can read more about this on this blog site. Fact is at low regulated concentration, fluoridation is very healthy but there is still an argument that even a low dose is unacceptable.
Bottled water is not the solution
- Bottled water is not an alternative. Various reports have shown that the water quality in some of those packaged bottles is substandard compared to tap water. In this age of “bailout”, “stimulus” and “rescue” packages, why would anyone continue to spend money on bottled water? NRDC compared the cost per gallon of tap water to bottled water. The cost per gallon for tap water is $0.002, and bottled water ranges from $0.89 to $8.26.